Writeup from aKademy

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Sep 1 00:50:23 CEST 2004

On August 31, 2004 15:16, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> I would be cool with this only if the apps maintainers are cool with this.
> In the end, I believe the maintainer has the right to decide.

AFAIC, unless the maintainer of an app in KDE's CVS has a very, very good
reason for violating the style guide they do not have that lattitude. esp
when it comes to identity and consistency in L&F.

so perhaps the art people could go through and disqualify any
non-CIG-following entrants and then provide recommendations with the app
maintainers having final say...

then again ........ i really am queasy with the idea of each application
having it's own say in L&F issues. L&F is a holistic issue as opposed to a
per-app issue (ergo the icon themes), and there are tangible benefits to it
being respected as such. i'd sooner see the artists take maintainership over
ALL art in KDE than have each app maintainer do so. they are experts in this
area and have a better position to deliver consistency and quality than
probably any app maintainer in KDE does.

if the artists are cool with that idea, i'd be happy to propose exactly that
on kde-core-devel to see what developer buy-in would be like.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric