Hello.

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 24 05:49:44 CET 2004

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 10:37 pm, code at dragonsbait.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Randy, and I have been working on my first kde kicker applet
> for just under a year now:
>
> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=12202
>
> Just today, I added a popup menu to it, but I'm having a heck of a time
> trying to track down how to get the kicker's current height (panelSize()
> in dcop) so I can make my menu appear along the edge of the kicker in a
> nice, clean way.  I've thought about implementing a dcop client for this,
> but feel it's a bit too much for just an applet.  I've also tried to save
> the height arg that's given to widthForHeight(), but since that method is
> const, I can't save it.

If you declare your class member mutable you can assign to it.  For example:

private:
   mutable unsigned m_height;

and you can assign to m_height even in const member functions.

> So, my question is, how can I get the height of the kicker? (I'll worry
> about vertical kicker width's later. ;)

If you have access to the child panel, you can call panelSize() directly.

> If this is the wrong place to ask, just let me know. Thanks.

You should probably ask on kde-devel, not kde-quality.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne