Call for Help: Improve KMail's support for anti-spam tools

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun May 9 17:34:49 CEST 2004

Hi,

this is your chance to get involved in KMail. You don't need to be a
programmer, so all of you can help us with this.

As you might know the next version of KMail (KMail 1.7) will have an
Anti-Spam Wizard which will help you using your favorite anti-spam tool
with KMail. Note that KMail 1.6 has already all the necessary features.
Only the Anti-Spam Wizard which eases the setup is missing. The
development version of KMail currently supports the following anti-spam
tools:
- SpamAssassin (http://www.spamassassin.org)
- Bogofilter (http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net)
- Annoyance Filter (http://www.fourmilab.ch/annoyance-filter/)

We want KMail 1.7 to support as many anti-spam tools as possible. For
this we need your help. If you are using KMail with another anti-spam
tool than the aforementioned ones, then tell us how you've set up your
filters. For hints about using an anti-spam tool with KMail have a look
at http://kmail.kde.org/tools.html#antispam.

We need the following information:
- The name of the tool.
  Example: SpamAssassin
- The official homepage of the tool.
  Example: http://www.spamassassin.org
- The command which outputs the version number (this is used by KMail to
  search for the tool).
  Example: spamassassin -V
- The command which is used to check a message for being spam. The tool
  has to read the message from stdin.
  Example: spamassassin -L
- The name of the special mail header that the tool creates to indicate
  whether a message is spam or not.
  Example: X-Spam-Flag
- The value of the special mail header which indicates that a message is
  spam (if necessary you can also specify a regular expression).
  Example: yes

If the anti-spam tool can be trained then we additionally need the
following information:
- The command which is used to tell the tool that a message is spam.
  Example: sa-learn -L --spam --no-rebuild --single
- The command which is used to tell the tool that a message is no spam.
  Example: sa-learn -L --ham --no-rebuild --single

Last but not least, we need your name so that we can thank you for your
contribution (your name will be listed in the About KMail dialog).

Send the information either to kdepim-users at kde.org or to
kmail-devel at kde.org.

This is your chance to get your name into your favorite email client. So
act now!

Regards,
Ingo