Problems getting into programming

Thomas McGuire thomasmg at web.de
Tue May 11 18:14:21 CEST 2004

Hello,

First of all I want to say that the articles on quality.kde.org are
really great! Thanks to them, I managed to set up my CVS KDE
without any problems at all (apart from the very long download
times thanks to my 56K modem).

However, I have the feeling that some parts are missing in the
article, so here are my questions that are unanswered for me.
I hope you can help me with my problems, and please also consider
updating the articles on the website to make the life of other
newbies easier.

How often should I update my CVS repository ?
I suspect that the most bandwidth comes from comparing the files,
not from downloading updates.
I really do not want to spend 1MB on comparing files when the
downloaded updates only contain 10KB.
If I had a DSL connection, this wouldn't be a problem, but with my
modem, an update takes quite some time.

How do I actually WORK with my local CVS repository?

Should I simply modify some lines of code, then
run ./module-build.sh (which will probably take hours), start a new
KDE session and test if all behaves like I intended ?
Or should I just go to the directory and do make; make install?
This would of course be MUCH faster, since the above script allways
rebuilds the whole module, but it seems to be still not very
practical.
Will a "make install" from a subdirectory (e.g. kdebase/konqueror)
succeed?

How do I work with KDevelop? Most apps do not have a .kdevelop file
(which is a shame), so do I have to import a makefile-based
project?
Since this creates some KDevelop-related files, should I keep a
backup of the folder I am working on?
If KDevelop succeeds in compiling the project, will it first install
the files to ~/kde-unstable or does it only put the files somewhere
in the build directory (or does it mess up with the makefile and
and places the bins and libs in the CVS tree?)?
If it does not install the files, is it possible to run and debug
the app from within this build directory?
Will there be conflicts if I have for example Konqueror installed in
~/kde-unstable, and an other Konqueror, this time modified by me,
started from KDevelop (from the build dir)? Which libs will "my"
Konqueror use? The proper ones in the build dir, or the ones in my
installation dir (~kde-unstable)? I am asking this especially
because I previously tried to make some modifications (just for
testing, noting serious) to kdegraphics/kghostview and had had
troubles with my modifications not being shown because they were in
some libs, which were not used.

So this are pretty general questions, now the thing wich I want to
do:
I want to change Konqueror to display "in new tab" instead of "in
new window" in the statusbar when using tabbed browsing and
pointing the mouse over a link.
IMHO the actual changes in the code are no real problem, but the
rest is. I would like to use KDevelop for this if possible.
How would you do this (setting up KDevelop, building, debugging and
all the other things mentioned above)?

Also I think the site (quality.kde.org) should be more visible. It
is a great site for beginners to learn about how to contribute to
KDE, but who knows he has to follow a link with 'quality' in it?
I did not see any links in developer.kde.org to here, and only one
link on kde.org, together with many others like usability.
I really think this situation should improve.

I know that I could answer some of the questions myself by just
experimenting a bit, but I have the feeling that many others have
similar questions, so I also wanted to point out which parts are
missing on the quality site.

Oh, and maybe you could correct any mistakes I made in the mail - it
is the only way my English will improve.

Thanks a lot,
Thomas