kmathtool

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Wed Mar 31 20:02:09 CEST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:41:23 -0800 (PST), "Marc Heyvaert"
<marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com> said:
> I was hinting to the fact that linux doesn't support
> UDF (as far as I know) so you can't threat your CD-RW
> like a normal disc, like you can in windows. Otherwise
> it would be easy : put it into your windowsmachine, do
> CVS up or commit or both, take it out, mout it on your
> linux PC and work with the CD as repository.
> Unfortunately now you can download to the CD-RW, mount
> it on your linux PC, but when you change a file and
> write it back it will be added to the CD, you can not
> erase the older version AFAIK.
>
> So what you could do is :
>
> 1. download from CVS on your windows pc
> 2. copy the entire directory on a CD-RW (so not as UDF
> but as a normal data cd)
> 3. mount this on your linux pc.
> 4. do your work and save in a *new* subdirectory, say
> /changes that you add to the CD-RW
> 5 when you want to commit...go back to your windows pc
> and copy the files from the /changes directory to your
> repository on the windows pc, of course replacing the
> existing files or adding new ones in the correct
> directory;
> 6. login to the CVS and commit
> 7. do cvs up
> 8. erase the CD-RW and copy the updated local
> repository back to it and go back to 3.
>
> I never tried this, but I think it should work. Tom?

Using dial-up with CVS is not that bad. I use it all the time, for the
_entire_ KDE. I think it is the simpler and most useful option here. What
I really need to do is to update the building guide to cover building
only part of kde as an user in a general way (like Marc did for KOffice).

Remember, you can download kdenonbeta/kmathtool _only_ if you wish.

I am currently testing some stuff in order to update the guide to include
this option. If dial up is good for you, then you can do:

1) Download KDE 3.2 packages for your distribution if you don't have them
(from your fast computer), and install it in your linux machine (don' t
forget the "devel" packages, and do not install KDEEDU)

2) Download and build _only_ kdeedu using dial up and build it as an
user.

If you want more info about this path, please contact me.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz
1) download CVS code
--