kmathtool

Marc Heyvaert marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 18:41:23 CEST 2004

Hi

--- M2George <m2george at mweb.co.za> wrote:
> One more question please.
>
> >Marc wrote
> >You can use cvs on windows, there is a good gui as
> >well. You could than transfer the whole directory
> onto
> >a CD-RW and mount this in your linux machine. The
> only
> >problem that I see is with writing back the
> changes.
>
> My conection is slow, is it possible to get a cd
> image of the CVS and then
> just use dail-up to update and upload.

I was hinting to the fact that linux doesn't support
UDF (as far as I know) so you can't threat your CD-RW
like a normal disc, like you can in windows. Otherwise
it would be easy : put it into your windowsmachine, do
CVS up or commit or both, take it out, mout it on your
linux PC and work with the CD as repository.
Unfortunately now you can download to the CD-RW, mount
it on your linux PC, but when you change a file and
write it back it will be added to the CD, you can not
erase the older version AFAIK.

So what you could do is :

1. download from CVS on your windows pc
2. copy the entire directory on a CD-RW (so not as UDF
but as a normal data cd)
3. mount this on your linux pc.
4. do your work and save in a *new* subdirectory, say
/changes that you add to the CD-RW
5 when you want to commit...go back to your windows pc
and copy the files from the /changes directory to your
repository on the windows pc, of course replacing the
existing files or adding new ones in the correct
directory;
6. login to the CVS and commit
7. do cvs up
8. erase the CD-RW and copy the updated local
repository back to it and go back to 3.

I never tried this, but I think it should work. Tom?

> What I'll then do is make my pc @ work dual boot
> with Suse 9 and just do CVS
> updates with it.
> But in the meantime, working towards that I'll use
> Anne-Marie's offer for a
> tarball of Kmathtool.

This could work if you install windows in FAT32
because with NTFS linux cannot write to the partition.

> I had a look at the snapshots but can't make out
> what to grab.
> Do I download the all the kdenonbeta files or only
> some.

The biggest file with the kdenonbeta name but that is
17MB. Once you have this you could update with the
XDELTA files for a couple of days (they are about
700KB each) but I couldn't tell you how. Nicolas
Goutte tells me that there is an issue with bandwith
(it costs money!) so he prefers people downloading
from CVS mirrors :)

I hope this helps

Marc