kmathtool maintainer.

Marc Heyvaert marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 12:56:41 CEST 2004

Hello

--- Tom Chance <lists at tomchance.org.uk> wrote:
> Hello Trenton,

<SNIP>

> > 1. Do you need KDE 3.2?
>
> Not necessarily, but the older your KDE version, the
> less you will be able to
> do. You can still do some work on bugs, do promotion
> and communication work,
> documentation from CVS, work on the wiki pages, etc.
> See the Quality Teams
> homepage (quality.kde.org) for more information.

True enough but to compile the latest versions of most
applications one would need Qt 3.2 + KDE 3.2, which
means upgrading.

> > 2. Do you need CVS?
> >     (My windows  box is on the net @56k @ work, my
> linux box @ home)
>
> Again, no, but it would help. You definitely need it
> for work like
> documentation.

You can download a snapshot from
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/snapshots/

You can try to compile this with your existing
installation (if you have a working GNU toolchain),
but most likely this will not work unless you upgrade
at least arts and kdelibs. Best do that as a different
user or purely locally, i.e. without interfering with
your existing install, unless you decide to upgrade
everything. Have a look at :

http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=Why+CVS
http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+CVS+Step+by+Step
http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=Compiling+KOffice+Step+by+Step

Snapshots have the disadvantage that you have to
download from scratch when you want a new version
(there are some patches for the first few days) +
snapshots are only made once every 24 hours or so.

Snapshots cost more for the KDE project because the
large files consume a lot of bandwith.

With cvs, you only have to do 'cvs up' to synchonise
your files.

> > 3. Is it possible to use CVS on a windows box and
> transfer the data via
> > removeable media.
>
> Yes. If you have a look at the documentation on
> Sourceforge for CVS users, it
> has a good guide on using CVS in Windows.

You can use cvs on windows, there is a good gui as
well. You could than transfer the whole directory onto
a CD-RW and mount this in your linux machine. The only
problem that I see is with writing back the changes.
The best way to do this would be to save your changed
files in another subdirectory and then overwrite the
changed files with the new ones on your windows PC and
then updating the CVS from the changed situation on
your windows PC. But all this is a bit theoretical,
you will probably not get a CVS account right away and
in the beginning you will probably have to rely on
people from kde-edu and kde-doc-english to get your
changes and patches committed.

Marc