useradd command

Henry Miller hank at black-hole.com
Fri Mar 19 00:10:32 CET 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 16:03, Marc Heyvaert wrote:

> In order to add a user I thought that the useradd
> command (I use bash, there doesn't seem to be a
> adduser command) would be enough. Surely enough a new
> user is created, but without a home directory. Reading
> the man pages on the command, I tought that it would
> be sufficient to add the -d homedirectory option. So

On most systems there is an adduser command.   However since only root can
use it, it may be hidden in a place where normal users cannot see it.
Still if you have useradd, that might be essentially the same thing on
your system.   These scripts are system and distribution specific, and
may even be customized.   (Think large company where users need to be
kept in sync across many different systems with some weird requirements)
Therefore it is best to say something like "This works for me, but see
your system docs to see what will work for you."

> I also tried to add a user with the KDE Control
> Center, "System Administration | Login Manager",
> "Users" tab but that is not possible in my system (I
> clicked administration mode, but create is not there).
> I run SuSE 8.2. Could it be that they have tweaked
> this or have things changed?

The Login Manager has nothing to do with adding users, and never has.

Henry Miller hank at black-hole.com