useradd command

Ramon van Alteren ramon at forgottenland.net
Fri Mar 19 19:30:03 CET 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 23:03, Marc Heyvaert wrote:
> In order to add a user I thought that the useradd
> command (I use bash, there doesn't seem to be a
> adduser command) would be enough. Surely enough a new
> user is created, but without a home directory. Reading
> the man pages on the command, -m     The  user's home directory will be
created if it does not exist. I tought that it would
> be sufficient to add the -d homedirectory option. So
>
> # useradd -d username (for the default)

I think you are looking for the -m option to the useradd command
Here's the relevant part of the man-page:
"
 -m

The files contained in skeleton_dir will be copied to  the  home
directory  if  the  -k  option is used, otherwise the files contained
in /etc/skel will be used instead.  Any directories  contained  in
skeleton_dir  or  /etc/skel  will  be created in the user's home directory as
well.
"
Ramon

ramon at forgottenland.net