useradd command

Marc Heyvaert marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 23:03:11 CET 2004

Hello,

I'm currently writing a small step-by-step guide to
install KOffice from sources.

There will be two sections : (1) normal install,
preferably in the KDE prefix; (2) installation of the
developement version. For the second section I'm
largely inspired by the wiki KDE CVS Step by Step.
However I encounter a problem.

In order to add a user I thought that the useradd
command (I use bash, there doesn't seem to be a
adduser command) would be enough. Surely enough a new
user is created, but without a home directory. Reading
the man pages on the command, I tought that it would
be sufficient to add the -d homedirectory option. So

# useradd -d username (for the default)

or

# user -d /home/username username (to be explicit).

But this doesn't work. I think there is something that
I can do with the -D option, but what?

I also tried to add a user with the KDE Control
Center, "System Administration | Login Manager",
"Users" tab but that is not possible in my system (I
clicked administration mode, but create is not there).
I run SuSE 8.2. Could it be that they have tweaked
this or have things changed?

Marc