[kde-linux] Configuring menus

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu Mar 11 06:24:40 CET 2004

On Thursday 11 March 2004 05:58, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> That is to put a fine point on it.  Do you think that this is a
> usability issue?  I do.  But the question didn't start here.  It
> started on a support list and I normally cross post to 'kde-devel' if
> I think that it is a development question that needs to be escalated,
> but I was told that CC'ng was more appropriate.  So, your only
> legitimate complaint might be that I CC'd this list and
> 'kde-quality'.  The question is whether or not this is relevant to
> 'usability' and 'quality'.  I think that it is.  By definition, any
> bug is relevant to 'quality' and many problems that a user brings up
> on a support list might be a 'usability' issue.

You should think about the effect your mails have. This is much more
important than formal definitions of "quality", "usability" or
"cross-posting". Sending the same mail to four mailing lists is
annoying to the readers of the mailing lists, because people subscribed
to several of these lists get the same mail multiple times and people
subscribed to only some of the mailing lists might miss the context
and parts of the discussion.

With your mail you should have sticked to the original mailing list or
if you would have had a patch implementing your proposal you could have
posted this to the developer mailing list.

The quality team mailing list is about getting people involved in KDE
not about discussing specific implementation details of certain
applications.