[kde-linux] Configuring menus

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Mar 11 13:41:29 CET 2004

Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Thursday 11 March 2004 05:58, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> That is to put a fine point on it.  Do you think that this is a
>> usability issue?  I do.  But the question didn't start here.  It
>> started on a support list and I normally cross post to 'kde-devel' if
>> I think that it is a development question that needs to be escalated,
>> but I was told that CC'ng was more appropriate.  So, your only
>> legitimate complaint might be that I CC'd this list and 'kde-quality'.
>>  The question is whether or not this is relevant to 'usability' and
>> 'quality'.  I think that it is.  By definition, any bug is relevant to
>>  'quality' and many problems that a user brings up on a support list
>> might be a 'usability' issue.
>

> You should think about the effect your mails have. This is much more
> important than formal definitions of "quality", "usability" or
> "cross-posting". Sending the same mail to four mailing lists is annoying
>  to the readers of the mailing lists, because people subscribed to
> several of these lists get the same mail multiple times and people
> subscribed to only some of the mailing lists might miss the context and
>  parts of the discussion.

I don't find it annoying at all.  I have a mail client that automatically
sorts my mail.  I suppose that if you didn't that you might find it
slightly annoying, but I see no other solution except that we could have
just one mailing list.

> With your mail you should have sticked to the original mailing list

Right, discussing the issue on the support list would have really helped a lot.

> or if you would have had a patch implementing

I would suggest that that attitude is of no use at all on this list.

> your proposal you could have posted this to the developer mailing list.

It is nice of you to tell me how to do things.  You might be interested to
know what you should have already figured out by yourself: I don't agree
with you.

> The quality team mailing list is about getting people involved in KDE

I believe that you are mistaken.  The quality list is for communication
among members of the quality team -- something else that should be obvious.

> not about discussing specific implementation details of certain
> applications.

True, but it *is* about discussing bugs.

I presume that you are a developer since you have a kde.org e-mail address.
  I presumed that we would have problems with developers in trying to start
a Quality Assurance program.  But, I didn't think that it would start out
with useless sniping like your message.

--
JRT