KDE Font Installer wipe out contents of /usr/share/ghostscript/X.XX/lib/Fontmap

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Mar 10 01:37:16 CET 2004

Polar Bear wrote:
> I have been using KDE 3.2 with QT3.3.0 and QT3.3.1 for a while and I
> realised that after running the Font Installer from the Control Centre,
> I can no longer print from non-KDE applications like Mozilla 1.6. Upon
> investigation, I realised that running the Font Installer wipe out the
> contents of the ghostscript Fontmap file (effectively making it a zero
> byte file), in my case it was "/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib/Fontmap"
> on Gentoo Linux.  Restoring the Fontmap file, restores printing from
> Mozilla.
>
>     cat "(Fontmap.GS) .runlibfile" >> Fontmap
>
> KDE application may not rely on gs fonts for printing as QT can generate
> the gs fonts on the fly from the system fonts. That is the reason why
> Font Installer creates Fontmap in each font directory.  However, it
> should take into consideration of ths non-KDE application which rely on
> the ghostscript fonts for printing.

I didn't notice this because I have fonts for all of the aliases (all of
them had been removed from the "Fontmap.GS" file), and I had installed the
URW fonts RPM which contains some of the GhostScript fonts.

However, I can confirm that you are correct.  I am in the middle of a build
  at present so I cannot reconfirm this.

Please make a bug report and advise me of the bug number.

--
JRT