KDE Font Installer wipe out contents of /usr/share/ghostscript/X.XX/lib/Fontmap

Polar Bear polar88bear at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 16:54:57 CET 2004

I have been using KDE 3.2 with QT3.3.0 and QT3.3.1 for a while and I
realised that after running the Font Installer from the Control Centre, I
can no longer print from non-KDE applications like Mozilla 1.6. Upon
investigation, I realised that running the Font Installer wipe out the
contents of the ghostscript Fontmap file (effectively making it a zero byte
file), in my case it was "/usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib/Fontmap" on Gentoo
Linux.  Restoring the Fontmap file, restores printing from Mozilla.

     cat "(Fontmap.GS) .runlibfile" >> Fontmap

KDE application may not rely on gs fonts for printing as QT can generate the
gs fonts on the fly from the system fonts. That is the reason why Font
Installer creates Fontmap in each font directory.  However, it should take
into consideration of ths non-KDE application which rely on the ghostscript
fonts for printing.