Running HEAD as default

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Mon Mar 8 14:13:11 CET 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:51:40 +0100, "Joost De Cock"
<Joost.DeCock at astrid.be> said:
> Hi all,
>
> I spent a good part of my Saturday afternoon trying to plug the HEAD
> kdepim
> into my running kde 3.2. (I am new to this, so please cut me some slack).
> My
> system runs RH9, updated through apt-rpm from a redhat mirror. The KDE
> 3.2
> stable packages are plugged from the KDE servers in Germany. It's release
> 3.2.0-0.fdr.8.rh90
>
> I encountered several errors, some of them I could fix, but some I
> couldn't.
> Today I decided to run:
> ./configure --without-kalarm --without-kpilot --enable-debug=full
> since these where the modules that seemed to cause me trouble.
> However, after make completed successfully, without thinking I did:
> su root
> make install

The reason kalarm and kpilot do not compile properly is probably related
to missing libs or libs-devel packages. I can't tell without more info.

> And that's that, I guess I just installed the HEAD version system wide.
> When I
> start (for example) Kmail as normal plain me, it is version 1.6.51,
> clearly
> it's been updated. Since it's my laptop, I'm the only one affected, but
> I'm
> wondering if this is a bad thing (TM). I followed the excellent guide on
> building CVS (provided by the quality team) and there they use a
> different
> user for testing.

Indeed, mixing installed from source software with rpms is messy, and
hard to clean up. But I did not test installing only one module in a user
forler: I don't know if this works.

Building the stable branch using the kdedev user is not hard at all if
you install to the devel packages required. You very rarely face compile
problems, and it is a one time hassle only. And it is very clean: If you
want to start over, just delete the kde0unstable folder.

> Point is, I don't care to much about the HEAD code, it's only going to
> make me
> able to do more testing if I run it by default :) but my question is will
> my
> debug info be usefull to the developers in my specific setup?

Yes, very useful. If you can recompile your kdelibs rpm with debug info,
it will be even better.

> Foregive me the ignorance, this may just be a no-brainer
I am _really_ happy to help.

> PS: Hey, I've got this new 'inline OpenPGP' vs 'gpg' drop-box, kewl :)
:)
--
  Carlos Leonhard Woelz
  carloswoelz at imap-mail.com