Running HEAD as default

Joost De Cock Joost.DeCock at astrid.be
Mon Mar 8 10:51:40 CET 2004

Hi all,

I spent a good part of my Saturday afternoon trying to plug the HEAD kdepim
into my running kde 3.2. (I am new to this, so please cut me some slack). My
system runs RH9, updated through apt-rpm from a redhat mirror. The KDE 3.2
stable packages are plugged from the KDE servers in Germany. It's release
3.2.0-0.fdr.8.rh90

I encountered several errors, some of them I could fix, but some I couldn't.
Today I decided to run:
./configure --without-kalarm --without-kpilot --enable-debug=full
since these where the modules that seemed to cause me trouble.
However, after make completed successfully, without thinking I did:
su root
make install

And that's that, I guess I just installed the HEAD version system wide. When I
start (for example) Kmail as normal plain me, it is version 1.6.51, clearly
it's been updated. Since it's my laptop, I'm the only one affected, but I'm
wondering if this is a bad thing (TM). I followed the excellent guide on
building CVS (provided by the quality team) and there they use a different
user for testing.

Point is, I don't care to much about the HEAD code, it's only going to make me
able to do more testing if I run it by default :) but my question is will my
debug info be usefull to the developers in my specific setup?

Foregive me the ignorance, this may just be a no-brainer

joost

PS: Hey, I've got this new 'inline OpenPGP' vs 'gpg' drop-box, kewl :)

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.