Quality Teams on the wiki

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Mon Mar 8 00:48:27 CET 2004

On Sunday 07 March 2004 16:16, Tom Chance wrote:
> I agree that is important to establish people who are interested in
> maintaining these pages. But I think we need people to start them in the
> first place to get things moving. Otherwise, I get the feeling that people
> will post to this list offering help; some will take up specific jobs and
> do them on their own for some time, whilst others will lose interest and
> leave; of those who do work, many will get bored and leave; and so on.

Agreed.

> What I am proposing is that we create a wiki page at least for each major
> module in CVS (i.e. kdemultimedia, kdegraphics, etc.) and try to force the
> hand of at least one developer from each module to help volunteers start
> the page off, drawing on bugzilla and mailing lists for general open tasks
> (e.g. "KNode - documentation - needs screenshots").

Agreed, but "force the hand" won't make many developers like the idea. Also, I
don't think any special knowledge is needed to maintain these pages. So I
would try to find volunteers on this lists for maintain this pages. Let's
see:

KDE PIM: me, Carlos Woelz
KOffice: vacant
kdebase: vacant
kdegraphics: vacant
kdemultimedia: vacant
kdeedu: anma?
kdesdk: vacant
kdegames: vacant
kdeadmin ?

All you need to do if from time to time check the status of the tasks, and
contributors. You don't have to be a developer to do that, even if you will
probably have to ask the developers for information sometimes. It's a nice
social task. Anyone volunteers?

> We then invite people on this mailing list and elsewhere to put their name
> down on the page as members of the Quality Team, and under specific tasks,
> and then ask them to maintain the page. If they don't, we won't be in any
> worse a position that if we don't have the pages at all. If they do, we
> have a nice, organised place from which Quality Team members can work.

Sure, that's the idea.

> As I said before, I'm willing to spend some time assembling these pages. I
> think that if we get a few people working on the initial pages, and then
> post something on the kdedevelopers to establish the place of Quality Teams
> in the developers' minds, we'll stand a much better chance of seeing this
> wonderful idea of yours suceed.

I am willing to do that too. Maybe I can even maintain more pages than KDE PIM
so what the heck, let's start doing these pages. If they rot later, let them
rot. :)

I will start improving the PIM page to include bugs management and status, so
we can use the updated PIM page as a base.

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz