3_3_0_BETA_! Build problems [RESOLVED]

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Wed Jul 14 13:19:38 CEST 2004

James,

On Wednesday 14 Jul 2004 03:51, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I posted my problems as a quality tester and only after I began to think
> that there must be something wrong with the source tree.
>
> But I don't see that support requests from newbies should be posted here.
> We have the two support lists for that (kde & kde-linux).  OTOH, if
> somebody feels that they have found a quality problem then they should
> probably bring it up here.  We should know what to do to about it -- I
> realize that we probably don't yet in many cases.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of "quality" in "Quality Teams". Their
purpose is not to provide, straight away, a means of quality control for the
whole project. Their primary purpose is to create a new space in between
developers and users, to try and get more non-developers involved in KDE.

It may be that in the future we can use this sub-project as a way of
introducing good quality control, but at the moment, on a list with willing
contributors, long threads about compilation problems are simply off-topic,
and will discourage the kinds of people we want on this list from staying
subscribed (as is now happening).

I'm sorry to see you banned, but you have to recognise that your approach to
these mailing lists isn't "working" (in the sense that other list subscribers
dislike it). So if you want to continue to contribute to KDE, you have to
accept this and change your approach. If you don't want to accept it, then
I'm sure your talents may be better received elsewhere. To put it in your own
words, your corporate culture is simply different to that of KDE.

It would be good if you could take some time to think about what has been said
on this list, and for you to then attend the aKademy this August, if
possible. I'm sure you could make a big contribution, and it'd be a good
opportunity to talk to the "main" developers about your concerns.

Regards,
Tom