3_3_0_BETA_! Build problems [RESOLVED]

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Jul 14 02:29:23 CEST 2004

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> I finally resolved my build problems after making at least one serious
> mistake
> myself :-( while trying to do it (I somehow checked out the wrong copy
> of the
> kdebase module when I was rebuilding if form scratch).  But, I also
> wasted a lot of time trying to build code that wouldn't build.

See? We all experience this from time to time. But the only one
to *always* make a lot of noise about it and *first* and *formost*
attacking fellow KDE developers is you, James Richard.

> There ARE errors in: "kdebase/kwin"; now documented:
>
> http://www.kde.org/info/3.3beta1.php
>
> I see this as a MAJOR quality failure.

That may or may not be the case. So what?

It can be fixed. That's why we have "public" betas....

> No testing at all before it was
> released.

It is not *released*. It is a beta1. Do you know what that means?

> But, I wonder why none of the developers noticed this.

I wonder why you dont realize just how *arrogant* your attitude
does come over.

> Logically, the only
> conclusion is that nobody ever updated their CVS with the tag:
> KDE_3_3_0_BETA_1
> and then did a build.

I am very glad that *you* did it now for all of us. Thank you
very much! We are very happy about that.

What we still dont like is your arrogant way to talk down to
us.

You are an engineer? Well, I am not. You are a software developer?
Well, I am not.

You have a short memory? Well, I have not. Because I still remember
very well how you promised some time ago to now start tackling the
task to make KDEPrint fully support LPRng, and at the same time
to better architect and software-design the complete filtering,
print and PPD-system.

I am still waiting to see the first working code on that field.
Until that happens, I only feel sorry for you if I read your
rants.

> I tried to do this, but I had some CVS problem (I am not sure of what
> exactly, only that it is now fixed) so I was not able to do this.
> However, to conclude that none of the developers did this indicates that
> we have a corporate culture that must be changed.

Once you change your attitude to a more positive, constructive,
"lead-by-example" (instead of a "talk-from-above") one, you would
have done the first step to a better *community* culture from your
side. If you want to change the KDE project to become a cold
*corporate* culture: go away. Try this elsewhere. Not here.

> --
> JRT

Cheers,
Kurt