Make it easier for contributors to edit bugs

Michael Jahn michael.linux at web.de
Sat Jul 3 22:28:14 CEST 2004

Hi,

I think it should be made a little easier for users to get permissions to edit
bugs. I found this at the Quality Team homepage[1]:

"Only after acquiring more knowledge on the application and on KDE Bugzilla
system, you may ask for rights to confirm bug reports and close non
verifiable ones."

And this is from our wiki[2]:

"Ask a developer for rights to confirm bug reports or after you're a bit known
for rights to edit all aspects of any bugs."

I think it is a good idea to not give them these rights immediately thereby
turning away unserious contributors. However I also think that a lot of users
have a moral barrier to ask someone for more privileges, especially when a
specific (email) address for this purpose is not stated. The interested user
would have to research this address and write an email to a person they've
probably never written to (I would feel almost like a spammer). And I would
also find it awkward to go into an IRC channel and ask 'can I please have
more rights'. So the simple solution would be to put up a form, an email
address or just tell them specifically where to ask (maybe this mailing
list?).

Michael Jahn

[1]: http://quality.kde.org/develop/howto/howtobugs.php
[2]: http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Bug+Triage

PS: That is what I wanted to search in the archives. If this has been
discussed before I am sorry.