[kde-quality] Re: Janitor Jobs/Documentation Coordinator

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Mon Feb 23 17:52:42 CET 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 12:43, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Monday 23 February 2004 10:56, Jörg Bayer wrote:
> > I just read at kde.org that you are looking for a Documentation
> > Coordinator and I think that I could  support the project with my
> > commitment.
>
> That's great :-) It's good to see that there actually is some response to
> the Quality Team/ Janitor Jobs initiative.

Welcome. I also would like to start working on KDE PIM documentation. We could
coordinate our efforts and do some peer review before sending the results to
the PIM lists. The Quality Team Site will be launched next week, so I will
have time to work on this.

> > But as I don't have any developer experience I am not used to all the
> > processes in a OS development team. So I need initialy some information
> > about the task. Nevertheless as coordinator/developer for web projects in
> > normal business life I think I will be able to fulfil your needs.
>
> My main concern is the KOrganizer documentation. The problem is that the
> documentation is lacking behind the application. One reason for that is
> that documentation writers not necessarily have the latest development
> version available and so don't really know about the latest features. One
> task of a documentation coordinator I would see as watching the development
> of the app and providing documentation writers with the necessary
> information. This could also include making screenshots. Reviewing existing
> or newly created documentation would be another important task.
>
> I'm not sure about the state of the documentation of the other kdepim apps.
> Maybe they have similar needs. We might also need to recruit more
> documentation writers.
>
> The role of a documentation coordinator isn't very well defined I suppose.
> It depends on you what it actually means. As always in KDE I think it's
> important to take a pragmatic approach and focus on getting things done.

You will need to build the kde-pim unstable, and be proficient with CVS.
Hopefully, this is not too hard. I wrote two guides that may help you in this
process. They are in the quality-team website, that is not officially
launched, but is fully functional already:

http://www.kde.org/areas/quality/

Click Working with KDE CVS on the sidebar.

The Building KDE Source Step-by-Step guide was designed for people like you. I
am currently building kde stable + kde pim unstable. The guide should answer
all your doubts, and if you have more, please ask them in the kde-quality
mailing list. (kde-quality at kde.org). I am interested in any difficulties you
may face in this process, so don't hesitate to contact me.

The Managing Your CVS Working Folder guide teaches you to modify the necessary
files and submit the modifications, either as commits or patches (more on the
guide).

And finally, the documentation guide should give you a overview about the
documentation process in KDE:

http://www.kde.org/areas/quality/develop/howto/

Let's start working on this together!

Cheers,