Writeup from aKademy

Kenneth Wimer wimer at suse.de
Tue Aug 31 21:10:00 CEST 2004

* Carlos Leonhard Woelz <carloswoelz at imap-mail.com> [Aug 31. 2004 20:52]:
> Hi Kenneth,
>
> I am really glad you are taking care of this. I only moved because
> nobody else did. See:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-artists&m=108082428905341&w=2
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-artists&m=108231388228291&w=2
> If someone needs artwork and is thinking about a contest for his app,
> what should he do under your new scheme? Contact the kde-artists
> mailinglist? Obviously, the rules of the contest must be agreed with the
> maintainers and developers of the application, so must we present the
> rules up front to the list?

Until now we have no concrete plans, but we have discussed offering a
wish/what-it-is-worth-to-me kinda thing on kde-look.org using paypal.
There are probably many things to do before this can be started.
Everything has to be written out in black and white to avoid any
confusion. Because the artsits tend to be artistic, it is not
necessarily our strong-point.

Now that I look at things this closely I agree that the quality team should
take care of these things, leaving the artwork to the artists. Lets all
do what we are good at. Some coordination with the artists is needed
though (herding cats) and a few of us in the artist group could take
care of this aspect best, I think.

Now might be a good time to put together all the people necessary to
pull this off and decide who does what "officialy". All volunteers take
two steps forward :-)

Bye,
Kenneth

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:37:45 +0200, "Kenneth Wimer" <wimer at suse.de>
> said:
> >
> > One more comment on the Icons for Kontact. They are very nice and were
> > badly needed, so we should be happy with what we have.
> Agreed.
>
> >Unfortunatly they do not fit with the other crystal icons 100%.
> Why? If you have something to say about them, I am sure david want to
> hear it.
>
> >This seems to me to lead to quality problems :-(
> Please, explain this to me.
>
> <offtopic>
> There is one quality problem I see with the pim icons: the
> reply/forward/send/download icons look too much alike, in a confusing
> way.
> </offtopic>
>
> >I am not complaining or saying anything bad
> > about the icons, I am simply stating a fact that everyone until now
> > seems to want to ignore.
>
> The old icons were *much* worse. They made a sorry mix of "photo" and
> "cartoon" styled icons, and were neither app or task oriented (not that
> they were not good, they were good but did not fit well together).
> Moreover, I don't see any problem in using icons that are slightly
> different from the crystal iconset in specific *apps*, when crystal
> icons are not available. For instance, the new Cervisia icons are great,
> a huge improvement and even less crystal like. Or the new kde-edu icons,
> they are not crystal as well. We should use the best icons that are
> available at the moment. In the end, it is up to the maintainers of the
> applications to decide. The icons in kdelibs, which are standard for all
> KDE apps, are a different matter (of course!).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carlos Woelz
> --
>   Carlos Leonhard Woelz
>   carloswoelz at imap-mail.com

SUSE Linux - a Novell Company - Nuernberg, Germany