Writeup from aKademy

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Tue Aug 31 20:52:29 CEST 2004

Hi Kenneth,

I am really glad you are taking care of this. I only moved because
nobody else did. See:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-artists&m=108082428905341&w=2
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-artists&m=108231388228291&w=2
If someone needs artwork and is thinking about a contest for his app,
what should he do under your new scheme? Contact the kde-artists
mailinglist? Obviously, the rules of the contest must be agreed with the
maintainers and developers of the application, so must we present the
rules up front to the list?

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:37:45 +0200, "Kenneth Wimer" <wimer at suse.de>
said:

> One more comment on the Icons for Kontact. They are very nice and were
> badly needed, so we should be happy with what we have.
Agreed.

>Unfortunatly they do not fit with the other crystal icons 100%.
Why? If you have something to say about them, I am sure david want to
hear it.

>This seems to me to lead to quality problems :-(
Please, explain this to me.

<offtopic>
There is one quality problem I see with the pim icons: the
reply/forward/send/download icons look too much alike, in a confusing
way.
</offtopic>

>I am not complaining or saying anything bad
> about the icons, I am simply stating a fact that everyone until now
> seems to want to ignore.

The old icons were *much* worse. They made a sorry mix of "photo" and
"cartoon" styled icons, and were neither app or task oriented (not that
they were not good, they were good but did not fit well together).
Moreover, I don't see any problem in using icons that are slightly
different from the crystal iconset in specific *apps*, when crystal
icons are not available. For instance, the new Cervisia icons are great,
a huge improvement and even less crystal like. Or the new kde-edu icons,
they are not crystal as well. We should use the best icons that are
available at the moment. In the end, it is up to the maintainers of the
applications to decide. The icons in kdelibs, which are standard for all
KDE apps, are a different matter (of course!).

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz
--
  Carlos Leonhard Woelz