Problem printing to Samsung ML 2571N

Christer Sandberg christer.sandberg at mdh.se
Wed Jul 11 11:38:13 CEST 2007

Wednesday 11 July 2007 wrote Kurt Pfeifle:
> Christer Sandberg wrote:

> >> To harvest a better debugging output follow these steps (sorry to rely
> >> on the commandline exclusively). Do them in a konsole window, as root:
> >>
> >> (a) Stop your CUPS daemon     : "/etc/init.d/cupsys stop"
> >> (b) Empty your error_log file : "echo '' > /var/log/cups/error_log"
> >> (c) Edit your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf so that it contains the line
> >>     "LogLevel debug"; save the file
> >> (d) Restart your CUPS daemon  : "/etc/init.d/cupsys start"
> >> (e) Print something that previously failed. (Well, maybe the restart
> >>     of CUPS makes it work for a while again?)
> >> (f) Stop your CUPS daemon     : "/etc/init.d/cupsys stop"
> >> (g) Investigate the error_log file line by line. If you don't find
> >>     anything obvious, post a link to it so one of us can look at it.
> >
> > Thanks for your detailed instructions!
> > The error log says repeatedly "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data
> > provided" but I don't know what to do about it. Both error_log and
> > cupdsd.conf are here:http://www.idt.mdh.se/~csg/cups/
>
> Two quick observations:
>
>  (a) you connect from CUPS to the printer via IPP, and the error_log
>      contains an error message from the CUPS ipp backend. Maybe the
>      printer's IPP stack is buggy? (There are a lot of devices where
>      IPP support is sub-optimal, unfortunately. You can try to connect
>      via DEVICE_URI "socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100" to the printer and
>      see if that gives more success)
I'll try that when I'm back from work and send a post with the result.

>  (b) you are sending PostScript to the printer, and the error_log does
>      not enumerate PostScript as a supported format (response of the
>      printer to the IPP query by the CUPS ipp backend when it asks for
>      the IPP attribute "document-format-supported"). Maybe the printer
>      indeed does not support PostScript, and you are using the wrong
>      driver?
Once again: according to Samsung's spec it supports both PS3 and PCL6.
Dosen't lpr use the same method for printing as the kde-apps? Doesn't it send
ps-format?

> What does the command
>
>     "grep cupsFilter /etc/cups/ppd/*"
/etc/cups/ppd/ML-2551N.ppd:*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0
foomatic-rip"
/etc/cups/ppd/ML-2570.ppd:*cupsFilter:  "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0
rastertosamsungspl"
/etc/cups/ppd/Samsung-ML-2551N-Postscript.ppd:*cupsFilter:      "application/vnd.cups-postscript
0 foomatic-rip"

ls -l /etc/cups/ppd/
-rw-r--r-- 1 cupsys lp   11111 Jun 25 20:22 ML-2551N.ppd
-rw-r--r-- 1 cupsys lp   10710 Jun 27 08:04 ML-2570.ppd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root 11127 Jun 25 20:12 Samsung-ML-2551N-Postscript.ppd
-rw-r--r-- 1 cupsys lp   19507 Jun 23 18:45 ml2570.ppd

ml2570.ppd is the one used for the todays test. The presence of the other is a
result of my attempt to find another "driver" on openprinting.org as
described in the first posting (not finding any instructions how to use
them). I think I have succeded in using the other by creating a "New printer"
with the wizard. The alternative printers that I created behaves the same.
There is a copy of ml2570.ppd, here:
http://www.idt.mdh.se/~csg/cups/
--
Christer