Problem printing to Samsung ML 2571N

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Jul 11 10:52:25 CEST 2007

Christer Sandberg wrote:
> On Tuesdayen den 10 July 2007, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>> Christer Sandberg wrote:

>>> Distro: Ubuntu 7.04
>>> cupsys: 1.2.8-0
>>> Kde: 3.5.6
>>>
>> To harvest a better debugging output follow these steps (sorry to rely
>> on the commandline exclusively). Do them in a konsole window, as root:
>>
>> (a) Stop your CUPS daemon     : "/etc/init.d/cupsys stop"
>> (b) Empty your error_log file : "echo '' > /var/log/cups/error_log"
>> (c) Edit your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf so that it contains the line
>>     "LogLevel debug"; save the file
>> (d) Restart your CUPS daemon  : "/etc/init.d/cupsys start"
>> (e) Print something that previously failed. (Well, maybe the restart
>>     of CUPS makes it work for a while again?)
>> (f) Stop your CUPS daemon     : "/etc/init.d/cupsys stop"
>> (g) Investigate the error_log file line by line. If you don't find
>>     anything obvious, post a link to it so one of us can look at it.
>>
> Thanks for your detailed instructions!
> The error log says repeatedly "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data
> provided" but I don't know what to do about it. Both error_log and
> cupdsd.conf are here:http://www.idt.mdh.se/~csg/cups/

Two quick observations:

 (a) you connect from CUPS to the printer via IPP, and the error_log
     contains an error message from the CUPS ipp backend. Maybe the
     printer's IPP stack is buggy? (There are a lot of devices where
     IPP support is sub-optimal, unfortunately. You can try to connect
     via DEVICE_URI "socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100" to the printer and
     see if that gives more success)

 (b) you are sending PostScript to the printer, and the error_log does
     not enumerate PostScript as a supported format (response of the
     printer to the IPP query by the CUPS ipp backend when it asks for
     the IPP attribute "document-format-supported"). Maybe the printer
     indeed does not support PostScript, and you are using the wrong
     driver?

What does the command

    "grep cupsFilter /etc/cups/ppd/*"

return?