Problem printing to Samsung ML 2571N

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Jul 11 11:52:24 CEST 2007

Christer Sandberg wrote:
> Wednesday 11 July 2007 wrote Kurt Pfeifle:
>
>> Christer Sandberg wrote:

>>> Thanks for your detailed instructions!
>>> The error log says repeatedly "cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data
>>> provided" but I don't know what to do about it. Both error_log and
>>> cupdsd.conf are here:http://www.idt.mdh.se/~csg/cups/
>>>
>> Two quick observations:
>>
>>  (a) you connect from CUPS to the printer via IPP, and the error_log
>>      contains an error message from the CUPS ipp backend. Maybe the
>>      printer's IPP stack is buggy? (There are a lot of devices where
>>      IPP support is sub-optimal, unfortunately. You can try to connect
>>      via DEVICE_URI "socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100" to the printer and
>>      see if that gives more success)
>>
> I'll try that when I'm back from work and send a post with the result.
>

>>  (b) you are sending PostScript to the printer, and the error_log does
>>      not enumerate PostScript as a supported format (response of the
>>      printer to the IPP query by the CUPS ipp backend when it asks for
>>      the IPP attribute "document-format-supported"). Maybe the printer
>>      indeed does not support PostScript, and you are using the wrong
>>      driver?
>>
> Once again: according to Samsung's spec it supports both PS3 and PCL6.
> Dosen't lpr use the same method for printing as the kde-apps? Doesn't it send
> ps-format?

Many devices which support both PS3 and PCL can be set at their (LCD) front
panel to accept PCL only, or to do "automatic language switching"...

The IPP stack of the printer may be buggy and report to the CUPS ipp backend
sending a PostScript file that PostScript is not supported (although it
is)...

First try if using the "socket://ip-address:9100" now prints. If that fails,
we'll try the next thing...

[ BTW, did you say that printing the CUPS test page via the web interface
  works? Which application are you using for your print testing right now? ]

>> What does the command
>>
>>     "grep cupsFilter /etc/cups/ppd/*"
>>
> /etc/cups/ppd/ML-2551N.ppd:*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0
> foomatic-rip"
> /etc/cups/ppd/ML-2570.ppd:*cupsFilter:  "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0
> rastertosamsungspl"
> /etc/cups/ppd/Samsung-ML-2551N-Postscript.ppd:*cupsFilter:      "application/vnd.cups-postscript
> 0 foomatic-rip"
>
> ls -l /etc/cups/ppd/
> -rw-r--r-- 1 cupsys lp   11111 Jun 25 20:22 ML-2551N.ppd
> -rw-r--r-- 1 cupsys lp   10710 Jun 27 08:04 ML-2570.ppd
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root   root 11127 Jun 25 20:12 Samsung-ML-2551N-Postscript.ppd
> -rw-r--r-- 1 cupsys lp   19507 Jun 23 18:45 ml2570.ppd
>
> ml2570.ppd is the one used for the todays test.

Since your printer "ml2570" does not contain a cupsFilter line, this
means that PPD definitely is meant for a PostScript-capable device.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS