Authentication (for web and for printing)

Helge Hansemann Helge.Hansemann at lrz-muenchen.de
Fri Feb 17 11:46:05 CET 2006

Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2006 10:25 schrieb Goffioul Michael:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when I´m contacting the cupsserver via http:cupsserver:631
> > I´m asked for user and password. So far so good.
> >
> > Now I would like to use an authentication mechanism for
> > printing itself, e.g.
> > with kprinter. (If I cannot trust the client and its logged in user).
> >
> > Is this possible in general? Is this the form server - port -
> > user - password in Systemoptions of kprinter for? If I´m
> > using it, no user information is given to the server !
>
> Those infos are used by kdeprint to authenticate itself to CUPS if
> required.

OK.

> But to enable authentification, you have to configure CUPS to do
> so. Refer to CUPS documentation (basically, this reduces to using auth for
> the /printers resource in cupsd.conf). You can also use the CUPS
> configuration tool provided by kdeprint (Control center -> Printers).

I tried this allready. The question is how to get an authentication popup like
the one you get if you contact the cupsserver via web. I do not know how user
and password can be sent to the server if the user wants to print.

For background information:
My client is whithout running a cupsserver in the moment, I just configured
kprinter.

Thanks, hh