Authentication (for web and for printing)

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Feb 20 09:46:59 CET 2006

> > But to enable authentification, you have to configure CUPS
> to do so.
> > Refer to CUPS documentation (basically, this reduces to
> using auth for
> > the /printers resource in cupsd.conf). You can also use the CUPS
> > configuration tool provided by kdeprint (Control center ->
> Printers).
>
> I tried this allready. The question is how to get an
> authentication popup like the one you get if you contact the
> cupsserver via web. I do not know how user and password can
> be sent to the server if the user wants to print.
>
> For background information:
> My client is whithout running a cupsserver in the moment, I
> just configured kprinter.

You should get an authentication popup dialog if CUPS detects there's
a need for it. Here's how it works:
- the authentication settings are set at CUPS-level (through cupsd.conf)
- on startup, kdeprint registers itself to CUPS to handle password
requests
- when CUPS needs a password, it triggers the registered components for
password request
- kdeprint pops up a password dialog

The info (username and password) you specify in the kdeprint settings
dialog are used as "first try". If it fails, CUPS should ask another
password
and the dialog should popup.