Authentication (for web and for printing)

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Fri Feb 17 10:25:31 CET 2006

> Hi,
>
> when I´m contacting the cupsserver via http:cupsserver:631
> I´m asked for user and password. So far so good.
>
> Now I would like to use an authentication mechanism for
> printing itself, e.g.
> with kprinter. (If I cannot trust the client and its logged in user).
>
> Is this possible in general? Is this the form server - port -
> user - password in Systemoptions of kprinter for? If I´m
> using it, no user information is given to the server !

Those infos are used by kdeprint to authenticate itself to CUPS if required.
But to enable authentification, you have to configure CUPS to do so. Refer
to CUPS documentation (basically, this reduces to using auth for the /printers
resource in cupsd.conf). You can also use the CUPS configuration tool provided
by kdeprint (Control center -> Printers).