10.0 and KDE-Print

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun Oct 16 17:48:24 CEST 2005

On 16 October 2005 06:14, Loy Banks wrote:
> > Should be in your Control Center. Anyways, at a console, type the
> > commmand kaddprinterwizard. It should work, if you have KDE installed at
> > all.
>
> It did come up for me using the command line. Yes I have KDE 3.4.2 level
> "b" installed.

Great. Then you should be able to go through the setup now.

> > > I'm trying to install Network Printer Brother MFC-420cn. It's not
> > > listed on short accepted printer list. Can't determine if I should
> > > setup as TCP/IP printer.
> >
> > I guess so. How is the printer connected to your computer/network?
>
> Connected thru USB port on /soyo/ machine or Internal IP 192.168.1.103

grrr... I'll take it's connected by USB. The IP number might be your
computer's ip, couldn't say, since you just say:

> Still don't know the numbers!!!!!

> > You definitely need this information. You can go to the printer and
> > browse its configuration in its LCD display. Also, read printer's manual.
> > You have to configure it to activate TCP/IP (if you connected it by
> > network cable) and to give it an IP number corresponding to your local
> > network's configuration.
>
> Yes it is cabled directly to the Router. As I said before the config in
> Windows XP Pro was easy.

Your windows computer discovered it as connected through USB. You should be
able to choose this option in kaddprinterwizard too (option "Local printer").

> > > Not sure about
> > > the port.
>
> The KPrinter wizard defaults to Port 9100. I don't know if this is the
> proper port or not. In the Properties for the printer it shows Port=USB001
> Virtual Printer Port for USB. No where in Printer Properties do I find any
> reference to the IP Address for this Printer.

This doesn't really make sense to me. If it's connected through usb, it
doesn't have to use a tcp port.

> > If it's configured to print to it by network, you don't need to care
> > about port. You will print to an url like 'ipp://NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN/queue
> > (where NNN.etc is the IP number you found on the printer and "queue" is
> > the internal queue name as given by your printer's manual) or by
> > lpd://NNN etc.
>
> I must have done something right when I set it up in Windows to print as a
> Network printer. It works just fine whether I'm on the machine next to it
> or the one downstairs or my wife's. So Yes it must be configured as a
> Network Printer in Windows.

AAAAARGH! Stupid windows mixup. What microsoft calls (and you name) a "network
printer" is in fact a shared printer. One that is connected to a windows
machine and then is available (thanks to awfully dangerous lack of security)
on all the local network computer.

So, let's distinguish things. In windows, you configured that printer as
connected through usb and it was automatically shared with all other
computers in your local network. What you want in linux is either the same
setup or anything else that you choose, but you might have to make some
reading to clear all these things for your knowledge.

If you want a mixed windows+linux network, you will need to learn about samba
or about cups and ipp. Both solutions let a printer to be used in a
heterogeneous network. Both solutions will require that you find information
about how to configure your windows machines with them. This list won't be
able to help.

> Where would the IP Address info be located? Surely it must be located
> somewhere in the Host machine.

??? No. If you have an actual network cable running from your printer to your
router, you have to read the printer's manual and learn how to configure and
activate printers network functionality. This is where you will learn how to
set/get this IP address.

> How does the Router know to Network Print to
> it thru Windows. So it must have an IP number. Right?

No, it's windows that does all work. The router doesn't need to.

> Confusing to me! But
> I'm learning.

No problem. Still, this could prove difficult with the lack of information and
not being able to physically see the setup.

Might I recommend you that you contact your local Linux users group and try to
get a hand of help from them? Or maybe you have a Linux-knowledgeable
relative? It will be much faster than through this list.

> > > All in all I'm rather "out-to-lunch" with installing this
> > > printer. I'm looking for help. Thanks.
> >
> > Come with more details. Not enough information in your request.
>
> Does this provide you with additional details or do you need more? I really
> do appreciate your help. Thanks so much.

Well, unfortunately I think it confused me a bit more.

Sorry for this.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org