10.0 and KDE-Print

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Oct 16 20:01:26 CEST 2005

On Saturday 15 October 2005 20:54, Loy Banks wrote:
> Just installed Suse 10.0 Can't find KDE-Print in 10.0 Where might the program
> be located?

If you have KDE, you'll also have KDEPrint. It's part of kdelibs/kdebase.

Just try these commands: "kprinter" and "kaddprinterwizard". They should
both work.

> Don't know the numbers for the printer location.

What do you mean with that? You don't know the IP address?

In that case, the kaddprinterwizard lets you *scan* for potential
addresses, if you are installing an IPP or TCP Network printer.

Here is how to do this:

On the appropriate page of the wizard dialog, click "Settings" and put
the first 3 octets of the to-be-scanned network into the "Subnetwork"
field, for example "10.162.241" and leave the 4th octet as ".[0-255]"
Try various potential ports -- 9100 and 631 being the most likely ones.
Say "OK" and click "Scan". Repeat as required. Once the scanning
discovered one or more potential printers, you can try more tools to
find out about their details. (One I'd recommend is "scli", the "SNMP
Command Line Interface". Use it like that: "scli <IP-address> public").

If you mean to fill in the field labeled "Location" for the printer
certainly, no-one on this list has a crystal ball to ask what would
be right for you either  ;-P  )

Cheers,
Kurt