10.0 and KDE-Print

Loy Banks loybanks at wavewired.net
Sun Oct 16 12:14:56 CEST 2005

On Saturday 15 October 2005 15:55, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On 15 October 2005 15:54, Loy Banks wrote:
> > Just installed Suse 10.0 Can't find KDE-Print in 10.0 Where might the
> > program be located?
>
> Should be in your Control Center. Anyways, at a console, type the commmand
> kaddprinterwizard. It should work, if you have KDE installed at all.

It did come up for me using the command line. Yes I have KDE 3.4.2 level "b"
installed.

> > I'm trying to install Network Printer Brother MFC-420cn. It's not listed
> > on short accepted printer list. Can't determine if I should setup as
> > TCP/IP printer.
>
> I guess so. How is the printer connected to your computer/network?

Connected thru USB port on /soyo/ machine or Internal IP 192.168.1.103

> > Don't know the numbers for the printer location.

Still don't know the numbers!!!!!

> You definitely need this information. You can go to the printer and browse
> its configuration in its LCD display. Also, read printer's manual. You have
> to configure it to activate TCP/IP (if you connected it by network cable)
> and to give it an IP number corresponding to your local network's
> configuration.

Yes it is cabled directly to the Router. As I said before the config in
Windows XP Pro was easy.

> > Not sure about
> > the port.

The KPrinter wizard defaults to Port 9100. I don't know if this is the proper
port or not. In the Properties for the printer it shows Port=USB001 Virtual
Printer Port for USB. No where in Printer Properties do I find any reference
to the IP Address for this Printer.

> If it's configured to print to it by network, you don't need to care about
> port. You will print to an url like 'ipp://NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN/queue (where
> NNN.etc is the IP number you found on the printer and "queue" is the
> internal queue name as given by your printer's manual) or by lpd://NNN etc.

I must have done something right when I set it up in Windows to print as a
Network printer. It works just fine whether I'm on the machine next to it or
the one downstairs or my wife's. So Yes it must be configured as a Network
Printer in Windows.

Where would the IP Address info be located? Surely it must be located
somewhere in the Host machine. How does the Router know to Network Print to
it thru Windows. So it must have an IP number. Right? Confusing to me! But
I'm learning. But then I'm over 65 and I do have my Senior Moments! :)

> > All in all I'm rather "out-to-lunch" with installing this
> > printer. I'm looking for help. Thanks.
>
> Come with more details. Not enough information in your request.

Does this provide you with additional details or do you need more? I really do
appreciate your help. Thanks so much.

Loy Banks