Printing Problems

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed May 11 13:39:47 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 12:15, Luca Scaramella wrote:
> Sorry Michael, i was using Kedit to print the file!!
> Now i know what's the problem!!
>
> If i use kprinter to print the file everything works fine.
>
> One last question i don't understand.
>
> I'm using gambas (linux vb like) to print to the same printer.
> If i select the same printer from the printers list box that the object
> printer.setup shows and i try to print normal text i have the same problem
> as Kedit.
>
> That's mean that gambas sends always PS to the cups server and i should
> always write
> a text file and the lpr line command to print instead of the printer
> object??

Hi Luca,

Usually, applications on *nix generate postscript files when you ask them to
print.  All native KDE applications use the QT print libraries, so you get
postscript. (kedit, kmail, konqi etc)  OOo, Gimp etc use their own libraries,
but you still get a postscript file.  Don't know for sure which library
gambas uses, I think it is GTK (gimp/gnome) - but you still get PS!

Then, cups or lpd etc "knows" about which printers can handle postscript
directly, and for which ones the postscript needs interpreting to the
printer's own language, and then uses ghostscript and foomatic etc to
actually do that translation of the postscript file.

Kprinter is "just" some pretty glue to hold everything together and send the
postscript file to the correct destination etc.

HTH,
Maf.