Add Printer Wizard/Print Manager Help Needed

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Thu Mar 17 19:12:49 CET 2005

> When I use the Add PrinterWizard and get to the test printer
> section, I
> can't get the test to work
> as it won't accept my user name/password or root/password.
> I've tried
> to run Print manager from
> the run dialog box as root but don't know/can't find the full path
> name(wont accept print manager
> or printmanager).  Whenever I try as root I get a can't create a
> temporary printer message.  I have
> had my CX6400 installed before, so I'm sure the printer driver is the
> right one.  A Debian kernel
> upgrade and modem problems lead to a complete uninstall of
> kde and after
> reinstalling everything,
> print manager seem to work differently(using KDE 3.3.2).  I'm
> a newbie
> to linux and KDE(I like KDE
> over gnome/debian).  Perhaps you will give me some to the
> point answere
> so I may stop wasting
> my time searching futily.  Specifically:
> 1. The fully qualified path name for the KDE Print Manager to
> use in the
> run command dialog box.
>     I seem to remember that the first time you set up a
> printer you must
> use print manager as root?

With CUPS, you don't need to run the print manager as root. If any
operation requires authentication, a password dialog should pop up
asking for an account with administration privilege (usually "root").
The print manager can be strated from the command line with
"kcmshell printers" and the add printer wizard with "kaddprinterwizard"

> 2. What is causing the print test to fail when I run the Add Printer
> Wizard beside my lack of how to
>     do it.
> 3. I'm using CUPS-1.1.23-7_i386.deb and there seems to be no cupsd
> daemon and there was in 1.1.23-4
>     Was that an intended change or am I still doing something
> wrong.  I
> can't seem to get to the cups site
>     via localhost as did in the previous version.  A condensed story
> here of what happened or what am I
>     doing wrong would stop my concerns.

You should have a cupsd daemon and it should be running. You should be
able to connect to http://localhost:631 when the server is running.
Be sure to start the CUPS service on your computer.