Add Printer Wizard/Print Manager Help Needed

Leonard Chatagnier lenc at ruralcomm.com
Thu Mar 17 12:12:25 CET 2005

When I use the Add PrinterWizard and get to the test printer section, I
can't get the test to work
as it won't accept my user name/password or root/password.  I've tried
to run Print manager from
the run dialog box as root but don't know/can't find the full path
name(wont accept print manager
or printmanager).  Whenever I try as root I get a can't create a
temporary printer message.  I have
had my CX6400 installed before, so I'm sure the printer driver is the
right one.  A Debian kernel
upgrade and modem problems lead to a complete uninstall of kde and after
reinstalling everything,
print manager seem to work differently(using KDE 3.3.2).  I'm a newbie
to linux and KDE(I like KDE
over gnome/debian).  Perhaps you will give me some to the point answere
so I may stop wasting
my time searching futily.  Specifically:
1. The fully qualified path name for the KDE Print Manager to use in the
run command dialog box.
    I seem to remember that the first time you set up a printer you must
use print manager as root?
2. What is causing the print test to fail when I run the Add Printer
Wizard beside my lack of how to
    do it.
3. I'm using CUPS-1.1.23-7_i386.deb and there seems to be no cupsd
daemon and there was in 1.1.23-4
    Was that an intended change or am I still doing something wrong.  I
can't seem to get to the cups site
    via localhost as did in the previous version.  A condensed story
here of what happened or what am I
    doing wrong would stop my concerns.
4. FYI- I'm using kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686 by Debian if that is of concern.

PS-Please copy my email address-not sure I'm subscribed-but do get some
infrequent emails from kde-print.

Thanks in advance for you consideration-this is about the last step to
get the new kernel fully functional.
And I surely appreciate any help you provide.

Leonard Chatagnier