kdeprintfax

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Tue Feb 22 08:20:53 CET 2005

> > Fax Log Errors:<br>
> > Converiting input files to Postscript<br>
> > Sending fax to 802-0470 <br>
> > Sending to fax using:/usr/bin/faxspool -F'John Mitchell' -D'Grace
>
> /usr/bin/faxspool is part of the mgetty+sendfax system.  I
> haven't used this
> faxing system, so I'm not sure I'll be much help

Be sure the settings of kdeprintfax are correct in the options
dialog, "System" section, especially the underlying fax system.
If you want to use hylafax, configure kdeprintfax to do so.

> > Mitchell(work/Fax)' '802-0470'<br>
> > 'Tmp/kde-jay/kdeprint_qMlqtlav'<br>
> > Faxq-helper:<br>
> > Neither fax.allow nor fax.deny exist,<br>
> > so only 'root' may use the fax service. Sorry<br>
> > can't create new fob directory, give up<br>
>
> looks like the permissions files don't exist. try "man
> sendfax" and see if
> that tells you anything about the format of these files
> (probably they need
> to be under /etc or /etc/mgetty+sendfax).  Usually you can
> specifiy in
> *.allow and *.deny files a global policy (ie all users can or
> can't fax) and
> then exceptions to that policy.  I would suggest that you try
> to open it up
> for all users only while you test, then try to restrict down
> to just yourself
> and any other real users who should be able to fax.

kdeprintfax is just a graphical interface around an existing
command-line fax tool like eFax, hylafax or mgetty+sendfax. If
you can't make this fax system work from the command-line, then
it won't work in kdeprintfax as well. Depending on the fax system
you're using, I'd suggest you read the associated documentation
to be able to use it from the command-line first.