kdeprintfax

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Feb 21 21:06:50 CET 2005

On Monday 21 Feb 2005 19:11, Aviator wrote:
> I probably do not have hylafax setup right. Attached are the error
> messages I have gotten. When enter 'rchylafax status' in a command line
> as root, I got - Could not run specidied command.<br>
> I thank you for you help.<br>

Hi John.

Can you confirm that hylafax is actually installed -

as root, what do you get if you type the command: rpm -q -e | grep fax

I get the following:
skaro:~ # rpm -q -a | grep fax
hylafax-4.1.8-24.4
kdegraphics3-fax-3.2.3-3
susefax-1.0beta3-675

I am running SuSE 9.1 - IIRC, you are running 9.2, correct.  Versions may
therefore be a bit different for you, but you should see a line containing
some version of hylafax, if it is installed.

> Fax Log Errors:<br>
> Converiting input files to Postscript<br>
> Sending fax to 802-0470 <br>
> Sending to fax using:/usr/bin/faxspool -F'John Mitchell' -D'Grace

/usr/bin/faxspool is part of the mgetty+sendfax system.  I haven't used this
faxing system, so I'm not sure I'll be much help

> Mitchell(work/Fax)' '802-0470'<br>
> 'Tmp/kde-jay/kdeprint_qMlqtlav'<br>
> Faxq-helper:<br>
> Neither fax.allow nor fax.deny exist,<br>
> so only 'root' may use the fax service. Sorry<br>
> can't create new fob directory, give up<br>

looks like the permissions files don't exist. try "man sendfax" and see if
that tells you anything about the format of these files (probably they need
to be under /etc or /etc/mgetty+sendfax).  Usually you can specifiy in
*.allow and *.deny files a global policy (ie all users can or can't fax) and
then exceptions to that policy.  I would suggest that you try to open it up
for all users only while you test, then try to restrict down to just yourself
and any other real users who should be able to fax.

Hope that is of some help,
Maf.