CUPS & KPrinter

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Tue Feb 15 17:36:19 CET 2005

> CUPS & KPrinter
> ***************
> OS : SUSE 8.2
> KDE : Version 3.1.1
>
> Problem: In the KPrinter->Properties->Driver Settings I display the
> options defined in the PPD file for the selected printer.
> Options have
> predefined choices and KPrinter displays these choice for user to
> select.  I have an option called  FontPath and defined a
> default value
> for it.
> This is displayed in Driver Setting tab page. I want to allow
> the user
> to change this path.  As far as I see, in PPD format there are only
> three options Pickone | PickMany | Boolean given for "OpenUI"
> keyword.
>  Is there any possibility to give an edit field for an option
> instead of
>  selecting from a predefined choices.

This is not part of the PPD specs.
However, as KDEPrint used to be able to parse Foomatic options that
could support other option format (like real numbers and strings),
you can achieve this by addin pseudo Foomatic driver comments in the
PPD file. For an example, look at the PPD files provided in the
fax4CUPS package (available on the web).