HELP: Problem regarding printmanager

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Fri Apr 15 08:35:05 CEST 2005

> Sorry for the late reply, had to do some project work.
>
> Actually, the symptoms are as follows:
>
> kcmshell printmgr starts the manager without problems. The
> system does not
> hang when I try to invoke printmgr via konqueror. It seems as
> if the printmgr
> is not loaded. How doe konqueror know which kcmshell module
> to load ? Maybe
> there is something wrong....

Do you see the printers (I guess there are on some remote print
server, from the description you gave) using CUPS command-line
tools like "lpstat -a"?
What you can also do is specify the actual remote CUPS server
in the kdeprint options ("kaddprinterwizard --kdeconfig"
-> CUPS section). So KDEPrint will contact directly the remote
CUPS server.

> Sorry for the ignorance of my side, but I am just a cancer
> researcher with a
> bit of computer knowledge.
>
> Aside that, a new problem emerged. The cups server does not
> see any other cups
> server. Firewall is down, ipp:631 works and I can connect to
> the client to
> other servers. The port seems free... any idea ?

Maybe browsing is not enabled. See /etc/cups/cupsd.conf