setting an option for rlpr

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Apr 13 22:32:38 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 17:32, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

> I use KDEPrint on a Debian GNU/Linux system and want my print jobs to be sent
> to an LPD print server on a Solaris machine.  Unfortunately my Linux user
> name differs from the one I have on the Solaris machine and the LPD checks
> whether the username provided to it is sensible.
>
> I don't want to change my username on the Linux box and am not allowed to do
> so on the Solaris box.  However, the problem can easily be solved by
> providing the -U switch to rlpr like in
>
>     rlpr -U <my-solaris-username> -H <host> -P <printer>.

So you switch kprinter in the drop-down box to the

  "RLPR Environment (Remote LPD server)"

?

> The problem is that I haven't found any way to tell KDEPrint that it shall use
> -U <my-solaris-username> on all calls to rlpr.  How do I achieve what I want?

No, idea about how to give the "-U" option to RLPR...

But, would this quick workaround help you?

 1. Switch to "Print Through an External Program (generic)"
 2. Select "PS_printer" from printer selection menu
 3. Fill in the print command "rlpr -U <you-solaris-username> -H <host> -P <printer>"

That should do the trick for you.

> Best wishes,
> Wolfgang

Cheers,