HELP: Problem regarding printmanager

Thomas Mohr thomasmohr at aon.at
Sat Apr 16 21:09:14 CEST 2005

Am Freitag, 15. April 2005 08:35 schrieb Goffioul Michael:

> > kcmshell printmgr starts the manager without problems. The
> > system does not
> > hang when I try to invoke printmgr via konqueror. It seems as
> > if the printmgr
> > is not loaded. How doe konqueror know which kcmshell module
> > to load ? Maybe
> > there is something wrong....
>
> Do you see the printers (I guess there are on some remote print
> server, from the description you gave) using CUPS command-line
> tools like "lpstat -a"?
> What you can also do is specify the actual remote CUPS server
> in the kdeprint options ("kaddprinterwizard --kdeconfig"
> -> CUPS section). So KDEPrint will contact directly the remote
> CUPS server.

OK, now, with browsing enabled following works:

lpstat -a shows the remote printer
"kcmshell printmgr" opens the print manager and everything runs fine.

However, in konqueror calling the print:/manager leads to an empty konqueror
screen.

What exactly happens when print:/manager is called ? Is some *.protocol or
*.desktop file openend ? Maybe the error is there ?

> Maybe browsing is not enabled. See /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Thanks very much !!! I solved the problem by setting up every variable in CUPS
according to:

http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L230+I0+T+P1+Qbroadcast

SuSE 9.2 and 9.3 apparently has by default closed browsing