HELP: Problem regarding printmanager

Thomas Mohr thomasmohr at aon.at
Fri Apr 15 01:18:18 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 11. April 2005 18:19 schr> On Monday 11 April 2005 04:02, Goffioul
Michael wrote:
> >Does it mean that the print manager freeze? What does happen when
> > you try to print from konqueror? If you have a
> > ~/.kde/share/config/kdeprintfc file, you can try to re-initialize
> > kdeprint by removing this file.
> >
> >Michael.

> This may not be relevant, but what version of Cups please?  There was
> a period where kprinter, and even some of kde, was crashed just by
> hovering the mouse over the kprinter related items in the menu's.
> This problem showed up with cups-1.1.18 I think, and went away IIRC
> with 1.1.21-final.  Since then its worked quite well here.
>
> >> However on my machine, when I click menu -> print system ->
> >> print manager,
> >> nothing happens.
> >>
> >> In Konqueror, klicking on services -> print system browser ->
> >> print manager,
> >> the print manager remains empty, i.e. no PDF, Fax, Printer.
> >>
> >> Any ideas ?
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot !
> >>
> >> Thomas

Sorry for the late reply, had to do some project work.

Actually, the symptoms are as follows:

kcmshell printmgr starts the manager without problems. The system does not
hang when I try to invoke printmgr via konqueror. It seems as if the printmgr
is not loaded. How doe konqueror know which kcmshell module to load ? Maybe
there is something wrong....

Sorry for the ignorance of my side, but I am just a cancer researcher with a
bit of computer knowledge.

Aside that, a new problem emerged. The cups server does not see any other cups
server. Firewall is down, ipp:631 works and I can connect to the client to
other servers. The port seems free... any idea ?

Many thanks !
Thomas