Too bold fonts.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Apr 12 00:26:59 CEST 2005

Vladimir wrote:
> On Friday 04 March 2005 13:17, Goffioul Michael wrote:
>
>>>Thanks for you reply.
>>>I have font embeding enabled.
>>>I'm not expert in PostScript, but in printed document I can
>>>see the line
>>>%%DocumentFonts: LucidaConsole
>>
>>This is just font declaration, later in the prolog of the file,
>>you should see the actual font embedding (or failure). Do you see
>>something like that?
>
> Later in the file I can see this:
>
> %%BeginSetup
> % Fonts and encodings used
> /LucidaConsoleList [
> [ /LucidaConsole 1.0 0.0 ]
>   [ /LucidaConsole 1.0 0.0 ]
>   [ /Courier 1.000 0.000 ]
> ] d
> %%BeginFont: Lucida Console
> %!PS-Adobe-3.0 Resource-Font
> %%Copyright: Copyright � 1993 Bigelow & Holmes Inc. All rights reserved.
> %%Creator: Converted from TrueType by Qt
> %%BeginFont: LucidaConsole
> %!PS-AdobeFont-1.0 Composite Font
> %%FontName: LucidaConsole-Uni
> %%Creator: Composite font created by Qt
>
> From the line "Converted from TrueType by Qt" I can guess that some font
> convertions are done. Could these conversions be the source of the problem ?

Yes, this is part of the problem if the fonts don't print correctly.  Qt
does not convert TrueType fonts as well as OpenOffice does.  The only
current cure for this problem is to NOT embed your fonts.
Unfortunately,  doing this is not simple.  Qt has problems finding fonts
because it can screw up the PostScript Font Name (which is not the same
as the normal font name) and it needs to find the directory the font is
in.  I resorted to patching Qt:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/files/qt-x11-free-3.3.3-PSfontname.patch.bz2

which will work on the current version (3.3.4) if you change the version
number.

Then you need to see that GhostScript finds all the font directories.
If you installed the fonts (actually any font) with KFontInst, this
shouldn't be a problem except for the old bug that you can't install
fonts in your $HOME directory and print with CUPS unless you embed them,
use a patched Foo-Matic, or my script to replace: "pstoraster" in CUPS:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/files/gs-fix/pstoraster

--
JRT