Openoffice.org & kprinter: lose first page when printing 2 pages per sheet

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Thu Sep 9 08:46:58 CEST 2004

> The problem is as follows:
> * in OpenOffice.org I use kprinter --stdin as a printer
> (defined through
> spadmin)
> * as suggested in the above mentioned thread on oooforum I set the
> Postscript level to 1 (both in spadmin and I check it when I actually
> print something).
> * the kprinter dialogue is fired up as should be
> * I select 2 pages per sheet in the 'properties' dialogue
> * what comes out of the printer is a print job which nicely has two
> pages per sheet printed, except for the first page on which the first
> page of the original document (i.e. the left part of the
> page) is missing.
> * when printing 4 pages per sheet, also the first page of the
> original
> document (i.e. upper left quarter of the page) is missing.
> * when I print from OpenOffice.org to a file (Postscript) and
> pass that
> file through kprinter I get the *correct* output on paper
> * also, when defining a printer for OpenOffice.org with the command
> "psnup -2 | lpr", gives *correct* output (i.e. the Postscript
> produced
> by OpenOffice.org us not so bad that it confuses psnup).

A few questions for complete record:
1) is the first page really missing, or are all pages shifted by one?
I mean, do you have (<void>,1) (2,3) or (<void>,2) (3,4)?
2) when you don't print multiple pages per sheet, is there also a page
missing?
3) from kprinter, when you print to a PS file and check the result
with gv or kghostview, is there also a page missing?