Openoffice.org & kprinter: lose first page when printing 2 pages per sheet

Arnold Moene arnold at eduphys.xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 8 23:59:10 CEST 2004

Dear all,

This problem has also been addressed at the OpenOffice.org forum (see
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4157). It's unclear to me
whether the problem is located in OpenOffice.org or in kprinter, or in
the combination of both.

The problem is as follows:
* in OpenOffice.org I use kprinter --stdin as a printer (defined through
spadmin)
* as suggested in the above mentioned thread on oooforum I set the
Postscript level to 1 (both in spadmin and I check it when I actually
print something).
* the kprinter dialogue is fired up as should be
* I select 2 pages per sheet in the 'properties' dialogue
* what comes out of the printer is a print job which nicely has two
pages per sheet printed, except for the first page on which the first
page of the original document (i.e. the left part of the page) is missing.
* when printing 4 pages per sheet, also the first page of the original
document (i.e. upper left quarter of the page) is missing.
* when I print from OpenOffice.org to a file (Postscript) and pass that
file through kprinter I get the *correct* output on paper
* also, when defining a printer for OpenOffice.org with the command
"psnup -2 | lpr", gives *correct* output (i.e. the Postscript produced
by OpenOffice.org us not so bad that it confuses psnup).

Perhaps people that are more familiar with kprinter might find out what
is wrong with the connection between OpenOffice.org and kprinter.

In case it helps:

* kprinter --version returns:
Qt: 3.2.3
KDE: 3.2 BRANCH >= 20040204