KPrint / KDE Print Manager Failing to Initialize

Gail LaForest anlace at whidbey.net
Tue Jun 15 00:51:02 CEST 2004

Greetings Kurt,

Ok, deleting the config file kdeprintrc solved the problem of Printing Manager
not opening.  Thank you!  I never did find the file called kprinterrc.

I also got into CUPS via http://localhost:631 and set up the networked
printer.  All looks well until I go to print a test page, then I get an error
saying "Unable to get printer status (client-error-forbidden)!"  In KDE
Printing Manager everything looks fine with no error messages but nothing
prints.

Now, I figure this is a matter of granting the computer the correct
permissions but without knowing exactly where and how to do that I hesitate
to start tinkering around because I don't want to break anything.  The user
of this computer is part of the lp and lpadmin groups.  I believe the problem
is with the host though because root cannot print without getting the same
error.

What do I change and where?

I can't tell you how much your assistance means to me!  Sometimes it's
challenging to get anyone to respond to questions.

With Gratitude,
Gail