KPrint / KDE Print Manager Failing to Initialize

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Jun 14 11:10:29 CEST 2004

Gail LaForest wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.

> I left it alone for three hours without a timeout,

That should be enough waiting :)

I was thinking of a timeout around 5 or 10 minutes max.

> I suppose I could have left
> it all day but . . . . why?  I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working
> so I got impatient with waiting.
>
> I am running Debian Sarge (kernel 2.4.25) and KDE 3.2.2 on that computer.

Thanks. (I only discovered your initial mail later, where you
already had given the info).

> We
> are emailing documents from that machine so they can be printed, a real pain
> in the nether-regions!
>
> I will try to modify the files that you suggested.  Wish me luck!

You can also completely move the files away (or rename them).
They will automatically be re-created if you start kprinter.

More items to check:

  * Is your local cupsd running at all?
    (try "lpstat -r" or "lpstat -t")

  * Can you connect to the webinterface of cupsd?
    (try "http://localhost:631/" and "http://localhost:631/printers/"
    in your favourite web browser).

  * Do you have by accident a "~/.cupsrc" in your $HOME or
    an "/etc/cups/client.conf" file? Both could be telling your
    printing system to not use any local cupsd, but instead try
    to another remote cupsd directly (which may not be available
    any more):

> Thanks again for the help,
> Gail

Cheers,