Printing with Kate: page header and footer.

Charles Trois charles.trois at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jun 11 18:17:03 CEST 2004

le 27/05/04 13:01, Goffioul Michael à goffioul at imec.be a écrit :

> As Kurt said, use "What's This" help.
>
>> --How can I get the page numbers printed?
>> --And what about the clipping effect?
>
> Did you try to increase the margins in the appropriate tab of
> the printer properties dialog. It is possible that the default
> margins (extracted from the PPD file) doesn't correspond very
> well to the actual printer capabilities, or that there's some
> rounding error problem (although I greatly reduced the effect of
> rounding since KDE-from-2-years-ago).

Hello Kurt and Michael,

Sorry I did not react more quickly; I have been toying with the subject on
and off.

My version of Kate is the one that came with KDE-3.2.1.

I first tried alignmargins, mistakenly believing that it would solve all my
problems, but I got nowhere; there were no visible results, and, as a matter
of fact, I have not understood how alignmargins works, nor when or how to
use it.

So I fell back on the default setting and chose in Kate margins compatible
with the frame specified on the test page, but, as you had surmised, this
was not sufficient; the page numbers did not show, and this was because of
clipping, so that I had to increase the right margin. Similarly, I increased
the bottom margin because the footer did not appear.

As for the footer, the bug you mentioned is still there, but it is a little
more complicated.

Not only does %u at the left not expand, but it prevents %U (middle or
right) from expanding. If %u is not here, %U (middle or right) expands
nicely to the full URL. Note also that %u on the right expands to the user
name.

That being said, I am now able to print listings correctly from Kate.

Thank you very much for your comments and your suggestions.

Charles