PostScript withOUT embeded fonts

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jun 7 20:53:29 CEST 2004

I have posted my patch for Qt-3.3.2:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/files/qt-x11-free-3.3.2-PSfontname.patch.tar.bz2

This appears to work correctly except for a small bug that does NOT affect output:

When using Times, the PostScript file contains:

/Times-RomanList [
[ /Times-Roman 1.0 0.000 ]
   [ /TimesNewRomanPSMT 1.000 0.000 ]
] d
% No embeddable font for Times-Roman found
/Times-RomanList [
[ /Times-Roman 1.0 0.000 ]
   [ /TimesNewRomanPSMT 1.000 0.000 ]
] d

Why it does this twice for Times-Roman is still not 100% clear to me.  But, it
doesn't affect printing so it is not a serious problem.

I also notice that Qt-3.3.2 does better with fonts.  A previous error in my
KWord test file with LuxiSans is now fixed.

Remember that if you do not embed font that your print program must be able to
find the fonts.  They must be correctly configured so that GhostScript can find
them and you must use a patch for your print program if you have fonts installed
in your $HOME directory.

The best way to have GhostScript find your fonts is to build the path into
GhostScript.  This will not work for fonts installed in $HOME and it will not
work for programs that drop additions to the GhostScript path into your:
"/etc/profile.d/" directory.  For these to work, you must use a patch.

With LPR, and probably others, you can use the GSK patch:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/gs-fix/gsk-1.02.patch.bz2

With CUPS, this worked list time I tried it:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/gs-fix/pstoraster

or, there is a patch for foo-matic which I have not tried:

http://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=2924&action=view

--
JRT