Printing options

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Oct 20 16:21:43 CEST 2003

> >But for you, you have the additional problem that your printer
> >seems pretty slow at processing PS data (I'm using PS printers
> >at work, and don't have that problem).
>
> Don't think my printers are slow to process ALL PS data since
> if I do a ps2ps, it works.

I didn't mean "slow in any case", simply when processing images
in PS generated with a different resolution, as James suggested.

> I also tried foomatic, it works fast but I had poor quality results.
> But I didn't search why though, because I read everywhere
> it was recommanded to use the PPD file than a foomatic
> driver.

Normally, for a PS printer, using the PPD file from the manufacturer
is the best solution because it provides you access to all options
of your printer. This wouldn't be the case for a generic PS-printer
PPD file, like in Foomatic. Here, I'm suggesting to try Foomatic
because this also includes a ps-to-ps preprocessing (done by
ghostscript) that you could use to convert any PS file to the
resolution of your printer automatically, hence speeding up print
time for PS file generated by KDE.

> By the way, my printers are all recent Hewlett-Packard (I tried
> on 2200dn and 8000n but I also have 2100 & 4050). Does
> HP is not recommanded ???
>
> I thought most of printers were HP, that's why I thought
> there was no problem with them...

HP printers *are* good printers, and one of the best supported
printers under Linux. If you're using HP Laserjet printers, you
might at least give also a try to PCL drivers available in
Foomatic. Most HP LJ-PS printers support PCL as well.